After months of procrastinating, I decided to start my investing and trading journey in December. My intention is publish my portfolio updates monthly on the 15th. No particular reason, I just thought middle of the month would be an ideal benchmark to evaluate my portfolio holdings. I’m still experimenting on what sort of information I want to track and share on Micro.blog
I signed up for a Trading212 account back in July 2020. It has been sort of dormant until November 2020. I decided to make a change from December 2020 to build an additional source of income through Dividend Investing and Trading. So, here we are now with my first portfolio update and highlights.
- Account Value - £986.43
- Portfolio Value - £895.24
- Free Funds - £91.19
Top 3 Holdings
- XOM - 32.57%
- FNV - 19.86%
- INTC - 15.28%
- First time since July 2020, my portfolio is in green. Totally psyched.
- Dividends paid since 1st December is £1.69
- Total dividends paid is £4.96
- Total return is £44.77
Learnings and Reflections
- Benjamin Graham, is known for saying that in the short run, the market is like a voting machine: tallying up which firms are popular and unpopular. But in the long run, the market is like a weighing machine: assessing the substance of a company. What matters most in the long run is that a company’s actual underlying business performance and not the opinions of the market makers about its prospects in the short run.
- I have found that once I purchase a stock, the share price usually falls before rising again. One needs to learn how to handle emotional roller-coaster when the share price tanks or soars.
As time progress, I’m sure my portfolio and my investing knowledge will grow. I look forward to share my journey and just keep showing up.